Sunday, December 14, 2008

Breathing in Rishekesh

This is our first official day unhosted in India. Alyssa and I woke up this morning and continued with our morning meditation and own version of Satsang and then took showers and proceeded to lounge around our beautiful room letting our hair dry in the sun pouring through our window like two cats sated with life. We have the most spectacular view of the Ganges. Rishekesh has its own healing magic and on this evening of our first day "alone" we have already made fast friends who we plan to hike with tomorrow.
In reflecting on our time at the orphanage Alyssa and I have decided that when we get home our welcome home party will be a fundraiser for these children. There are 19 altogether. The youngest is 5 months old. She was recently rescued and is presently in the states getting surgery to repair her cleft palate. The oldest is 14. The children start their day at 4:30am. They chant and pray for an hour then the older girls prepare food for the day. All are off to school then home by 2:00pm for lunch. Homework until 5:00pm. Another hour of chanting at 5:30, dinner thereafter, washing of feet, brushing of teeth, then off to bed. Six to eight children share a bedroom appoximately 10 x 8 feet. We were there for 5 days and saw the children change clothes just once. They live minimally. They wait until everyone has been served before they eat, which often takes 5 minutes or so. They recite the most harmonic prayer for the food, life, and for the sponsers of the orphanage. They eat in silence as a way of expressing gratitude. In the days that we were there laughter was the mainstay and curiosity was their way. Each gave a generous hug as we departed and some said they would pray for us. I think I will see some of them again. Life is perfection. I am blessed as are these sweet beings. One to another to comfort, to ease, to play.
Hari Om. Love love love, Laurel

2 comments:

michellebauman said...

Hi Girlies:

Love following along as you spread love and joy where ever you go!!! This all just sounds amazing!! I guess I need to pick up "Power of Now" - last time I tried to read it got very triggered "what do you mean I am not my mind!!!" - but that was a few years ago - I think I can handle it now!!

xoxo, Michelle

Unknown said...

wow